Monday, 15 February 2016

6 weeks of 2016 gone!

Hi everyone
I have been very lax in posting but have been beetling away in the background to keep busy despite having a nasty flu bug which laid me low for a couple of days. 
I have failed miserably with the 365 Block a Day project and stopped after 2 weeks as I just did not like the smallness of the blocks but I am enjoying the Craftsy BOM.


I have also been on Facebook a lot!!!!! It's very addictive because it is so quick and there is so much to see on the two groups I have signed up for.   UK Quilters is a great group and I have also signed up to Helping Hearts which lists all the charity projects who are looking for lap quilts and other items. So I am planning on making more charity lap quilts instead of large quilts which I don't have a home for. 

I have finished a large colourful quilt and a smaller scrappy quilt for SIBLings Together which is looking for 100 quilts this year for their summer camps. The smaller quilt is from Nancy Zeiman's block of the months this year. 


This was a great way to use up strings but with a different end result. 

I have also been hand quilting a whole quilt which is a first for me but it's been great to sit and Sew Slowly!

This is from a Craftsy lesson by Beverly Eimo and is the Buzz Saw block. I used the Whitewashed Cottage fabric as I bought both a jelly roll and a layer cake last year BUT I fell out of love with it as I thought it looked a bit wishy- washy but I now think it has worked well with the peach accent colour to set it off. It just need binding. 
I had enough left to make another quilt so I am looking to making a 1/4 log cabin Block from this months Quilting for You magazine.


I also put together a 10 minute Block Quilt from some lovely Moda layer cakes I had in dark reds and blues.

As usual I end up with lots of tops completed but struggle to find backing fabric at a reasonable price to get them quilted and finished. 

As the year passes we are all looking forward to our next quilt retreat at Cober Hill in only 2 weeks time so I am desperately try to prep some projects to take with me and decided some embroidered blocks ready to turn into baby quilts would be a good idea.

One is a Couch Potatoes Pets design and the other Zoo animals - both from my favourite embroidery designer Kiwi Kreations. 

We are still following our son's adventure in South America and look forward to his Skype messages about once a fortnight and he is posting hundreds of photos to the cloud so we can see what they have been doing. They are in Patagonia and have seen some wonderful sites treking on glaciers and visiting waterfalls. They are about to move further north into Chile and Peru and then will be doing the Inca trai.


So I need to get back to the embroidery machine and get these blocks done and also do the next part of the Craftsy BOM. 
Thanks for stopping by 
Pauline 


2 comments:

  1. Stunning, not just the views of the scenery but all the quilts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL scrappy quilts, Pauline! Scrap quilts are my favorite.
    Your embroidery is perfection. You are a very talented lady. Thank you for sharing pictures, dear.
    Looks like the kids are having a vacation of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete