Sunday, 19 July 2015

Summer Travels

Hi
I have been missing from my blog as we have been away quite a bit on short breaks - the recent one was to Scarborough.  While there we visited Whitby, one of our favourite places. The weather was lovely and sunny and we took some great photos of Whitby Abbey and the Church yard - the setting for Bram Stoker's Dracula.







I managed to fit in a visit to the wonderful Scarborough Sewing shop for some fabric and also happened to be there when the local quilt group Heirloom Quilters were holding their annual show. It was a wonderful exhibition with some beautiful quilts and some good trade stalls. There was a lovely exhibition of baby and children's quilts using old nursery  equipment to stage the quilts.




With being away from my machine I have been concentrating on hand sewing and I am plugging away at a Rainbow Hexi Quilt from this  months Popular Patchwork.






This week I have also  been catching up and sorting out UFO's but decided I wanted to do some machine embroidery so I have started a new quilt. This is one I did many years ago when I first started with an embroidery machine called " I Love Flowers" - so I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out this time as I have learnt  a lot since I last made it last.




I am going to a workshop next month with some friends on making the Twister Quilt but bought  a template at the quilt show so I  was keen to try one so I trawled the internet and found a lot of pictures and tutorials so this morning started a small Twister Wreath as the first of my Xmas in July projects



It has turned out well and I enjoyed seeing it come together so feel that I might have to try a few more.Many people commented that they can become addictive and I can see why!  There are so many variations depending upon how you arrange the original blocks before you start cutting with the twister ruler.
 It just needs a border and then can be quilted by hand which could be useful to take on our next trip which is next week to Edinburgh. We love going for the Festival when the city is full of arts events so hope we get some good weather.

Looking forward to more Twisting!!!

Pauline








3 comments:

  1. Happy you are back safely. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.
    Your embroidery is beautiful. Twister looks like fun : )
    Have a good time in Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely twister! I've often thought of trying that, and your result is so wonderful, the ruler is now on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Pauline, such pretty hexies, I have a bunch in my UFO drawer somewhere. Your photos make me nostalgic :-(

    ReplyDelete