Sunday, 1 March 2015

Sunday Snap Shot!!

I suddenly realised I have had lots to post about since the last post after the Grow Your Blog event.  

 And this week I am looking forward to a day trip to London to the Spring Knitting and Stiching show ( with the temptation to buy lots of goodies of course!) and then off to the weekend retreat on Friday for 4 days at Scarborough  - sewing with my quilting friends.

One  surprise this week was an email from Elizabeth at Australian Homespun magazine (which I subscribe to online) asking if I would send some photos of my Scottie  dog quilt which I have posted about previously, for their Readers page!!!
 I was chuffed to be asked and she wanted a bit more background as to why I made it. If you remember,  it's for my brother and sister- in- law whose  new baby is due in about 8 weeks- and was a pattern from their magazine. Hopefully it should be featured in the June edition!



I have been busy finishing and posting off Fabric postcards in the swap groups I am in and so can look forward to receiving some  shortly.  I am also joining Ali's ATC swap over at VeryBerryHandmade. The topic is Home Sweet  Home.

I received the 4th pack of Liberty prints from Ali at  VeryBerryHandmade which I won in her give away recently - the prize was to receive a pack of Liberty fabric every month for 7 months and it was a lovely prize so I am saving them to make something really special later this year.

                                      

I seem to have been  jumping from one project to another  this week and have a lot of new stuff on the go.!!!

First -I have a paper piercing project using a Sue Daley pattern which is on- going and is intended to be a surprise quilt for a friend's 70th birthday later this year.


- I made a couple of  these vinyl project bags after seeing a post about them - they are really useful for keeping  on- going projects in.

Then there is my Pin Wheel quilt made from stash which I cut up into layer cake size squares.

I free motion quilted an oak leaf shape across the dark pin wheel blocks but will finish it off with  a meander across the other  lighter blocks. 

It is  for Siblings Together - a UK charity which our group supports and we will be working on  additional quilts at the retreat.  I have eventually  finished the Honey Bee quilt which is also for this charity. 

- BUT I  have also been sucked into doing a 4 patch scrappy from fabric I already had, which is in  the latest edition of American Patchwork and Quilting and managed to get all the small 4 patches sewn and the plain blocks cut out to make into  nine patch blocks -so hope to finish this off at the retreat as well.




Finally I started a new project which I have designed  using ideas from the book by 
Eileen Roche
 - Machine Embroidered Quilting and Applique.


I made the Ohio Star quilt  from this book a couple of years ago but have been thinking that there had to be a  different way of doing them using a whole quilt approach rather than quilt-as-you go.

So I measured out a large piece of mottled dark blue fabric and then divided it up into squares with a chalk outline, layered the batting and a stabiliser and started to stitch each square with different patterns from the original  quilt in the book.



(this just shows a test stitch-out of one of the blocks)




 I am quilting some of the blocks using bright jewel colours  and others just the background  quilting pattern in the bright block colours

.  Then I will add a backing and free motion quilt  the border areas  between the blocks where the sashing would have been if it had been done like the original. I  hope this will then  be another  appropriate quilt for a boy for the Siblings Together Charity.

So I am looking toward to this week and then my weekend  away and will have some  photos of our "adventures" next time

Thanks for visiting

Pauline

4 comments:

  1. How cool to be published!! Do let us know and share. Lots of great projects and enjoy your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news about being published and your trip to London and the retreat sounds wonderful . Lovely projects , your quilting is great !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm not surprised : )
    You have some interesting projects in the works. I look forward to watching your progress.
    My covered calendar journal arrived in the mail today and I LOVE IT! You used my favorite KF fabrics! Such beautiful beaded stitches. Beautiful post card, too. What an awesome consolation prize drawing! Thank you soooo much, Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely come check this place again with some other awesome friends of mine! It's one of best places for having a good time with a joyous feeling. And this convention center fascinates me with its great style and vibrant atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete