Thursday, 3 April 2014

Patchwork of the crosses

Last month I replied to Cheri, The Quilting nanny at Fabrics and Memories who was wanting to make an ISpy quilt and was looking to swop fabric to get a good selection of blocks for her quilt. As I had recently finished one myself I offered to send her some blocks I thought she might find useful. In return she kindly offered to spend me a selection of fabrics from her stash.  I decided I would like some of her Civil War prints and these arrived last week.  There was a lovely selection of  charm squares and I wanted to find something which would make best use of them.  I have been seeing a lot of pins about the Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses quilt  and after some more browsing the web I decided that these charms would be ideal as the focus fabric in each cross. I decided a wall hanging a bit like this one would be a good size to aim for



 I pulled some coordinating prints from my own stash and set to work printing out the paper. I managed to get one cross started and this will be a great hand sewing project to take away with me on our first caravan trip this weekend and perhaps be the on-going project for this summer as it will be portable and easy to carry with me.




I finished the Wacky House quilt despite being driven mad by the spotty backing - I could not get it straight but persevered and it does not look too bad. This is the first of my quilts for Siblings Together and I hope to get the second one finished at the Quilt Retreat next weekend. We will also be trying to get two group quilts done as well during the weekend.




"Florry " has been busy helping me with a summer top for my daughter - it makes it a lot easier having something to model it on and get the shoulders right. I might never make the Great British Sewing Bee which reaches its final next week - but it has been good to try some dressmaking for a change. This just needs the short sleeves adding.



So hoping the weather continues to improve for our trip

Pauline


4 comments:

  1. Lindos tus quilt. Bonitos trabajos.
    Saludos desde Chile
    Maru

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to trade swatches with another and what a great project for the Civil War prints. Love the wonky houses and wonderful start to your dress making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to swap fabrics and your project looks like a really neat one .Always nice to have something portable on the go. Your wonky houses are cute and another great top . Enjoy your trip and hope the weather cooperates for you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,anyone is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete