Saturday, 8 June 2013

Hands ON!

Hi everyone

I have been a bit lax in posting as I have been a bit busy with a family crisis which is now resolved but it has meant that I have spent a lot of time waiting around at hospitals and  hand sewing in the spare minutes I have had. 

I have been following " The HEXI Blog" and this week it has had a blog hop featuring a new book  "Quick and Easy Hexi Quilts"  and so I could not resist ordering it from amazon so that I could try out this new method which does not use paper.!



It is based on cutting circles and them folding them - a bit like origami- and the results are so quick and easy.  I have tried a range of sizes and intend taking some fabric with me  on our next trip which is to the Cotswolds.

I have also been hand quilting in the evenings  which is something I don't do a lot of but I finished my Applecore quilt and decided it would suit some large stitch quilting in cream thread in circles.  The applecore sizzix die is really useful and it went together so well I now intend to make another one - perhaps in pastels -pinks and greens.




I have also been making Flying Geese using a foundation fabric I have had  for ages using my Rowan/Kaffe Fasset scraps ( too good to throw away even the smallest piece!!!)  This strip is only 3 inches wide and I am going to make a mug rug -or two- out of it for a Swap group I am in on the  TradingFabric Postcards Yahoo Group.




My other new start is another quilt from my favourite book by Sue Daley - I am making the one on the cover called Icicles this time - but again in Rowan/Fassett fabrics so mine will be more vibrant. This is the third project from this book.



 It is all cut out and ready to paper pierce while on holiday.  
I seem  to have a thing at the moment about using up the Rowan/Fasset fabrics in my stash - maybe becuase they are so colourful and reflect this wonderful weather we are having at the moment - and hand sewing as I don't like sitting up stairs in my sewing room when I can be downstairs in the conservatory or in the garden!!

The garden is  looking lovely after about 10 days of really sunny and warm weather - the peonies are in bloom and even the lavender seems to have survived after our dreadful spring. 


I have signed up once again for Cheryll's Santa Sack Swop  and its not even July YET !!!! so will have start thinking about Xmas projects when I get back.
I do have an idea for a table topper using the new hexi method and some black, red and green fabrics I bought recently.

So I intend doing lots of hand sewing, taking lots of photos of the Cotswolds while we are away and maybe do some painting as well.


bye for now

Pauline

4 comments:

  1. Lovely pieces and great hand work going on. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting way to make the hexies , love your apple core quilt and the flying geese, I wouldn't throw away those scraps either , beautiful! Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your stint in hospitals - no fun at all.

    Love your applecore quilt. Interesting that you cut it on the Sizzix. I've been thinking of trying the Sizzix for cutting fabric, but haven't yet. I did recently obtain an accu quilt and have been having fun with the hexagon die. I didn't realize Sizzix had quilting dies until recently, so I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your applecore quilt. Your little hexies and flying geese are so cute!
    Totally understand what you are saying about pretty scraps. I save them for a second chance to be in something quilty :o)

    ReplyDelete