Saturday, 22 September 2012

Doctors Orders!!!


I have been suffering from severe pain in my shoulders and upper arms over the past month but had continued sewing particularly as I have not yet finished the  medallion quilt which is the commission I undertook for my Mum's friend Irene.  However, I have now been ORDERED to stop machining for the next 2 weeks and to do the shoulder exercises I have been given to stop the stiffness and pain getting any worse!

What will I do with my self?   I am wary of increasing the hand sewing as I am worried this will also exacerbate the problems SO .......  the only solution is to catch up with some painting for the next exhibition in October and perhaps read. I have a Kindle which I love and lots of books saved up so it may mean putting my feet up in the afternoons and reading some of them.  It also means I have an excuse for reading lots of blogs although I must not sign up for any projects Ha ha ! .


I am relived that the medallion quilt is almost finished - just the large outer borders to add - and Irene is really pleased with it so far  - so  hopefully I will manage to also get the two pillow shams completed before November which is when she is expecting it to be ready.


 I am lucky that I have completed all my  swap committments ( or else have them stored away ready for posting)  so I have decided that I must NOT start any more large quilts whilst  I have this problem  but to stick with small items over the next few months and in particular I have signed up for a couple of post card swops.   Making postcards was the way I got back into sewing a few years ago whilst still working- as they were small enough to make quickly and as they do not entail too much machining I think they may help me cope.  




My Sue Daley bed runner project is also finished and has been given to my friend as a surprise -so I may do some more EPP to keep me going while banned from the machine.  I have just seen the new Brother Series V and am in love ! !!  but cannot justify a new machine at the moment. That's the danger of spending too much time surfing on the web!   

DID make an Advent Calendar  on the machine this week ( it was quick and simple so I thought I could get away with doing it - until my husband heard the machine!!!) -  as it is for my son and girlfriend for their first Xmas in their new flat - and I  want to start buying little gifts for them so at least it is done and I can now shop for the small gifts to go in the pockets.
I have posted my "Black and White bag"   in Cheryl's swop to Naomi so I hope she likes it and it arrives quickly.

So there may not be much to post about until my arms are in better shape!
Pauline

5 comments:

  1. Oh do take care Pauline, no fun having pain in your shoulders and I can see how the machine quilting kind of made the situation worse , one of the reasons I do very little machine quilting. Lovely projects , the quilt is gorgeous as is the bed runner and your advent calendar is super cute. Hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I hope the pain eases up soon! It can be awful not being able to sew for a longer time if you don't rest up. The Advent calendar looks amazing! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pauline... I do hope you get the aches and pains out of the body ASAP. Lovely lot of work you have there too! You are such a talented lady!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many lovely things, Pauline. Please take care of yourself.
    Especially liked the Advent Calendar : )
    And part where hubby heard the sewing machine :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful projects Pauline! Now rest and get better!

    ReplyDelete